The value of this project is entirely based upon the knowledge and perspective shared by the below list of outstanding Native leaders. All of these individuals live within the bioregion of Salmon Nation and were recruited to participate in this study because they meet the following criteria:
- are indigenous to the region
- are actively engaged in their community
- have a respected track record in leadership roles
- have demonstrated knowledge of present day social, economic and evironmental challenges
- were willing to participate
The sample is a purposeful or purposive sample in that the participants were intentionally selected as knowledgeable informants of the research topic (Morse, 1991; Patton, 1990, 2002).